Shawn Wilyman, Triathlete, Victoria, BC
1. Favourite Running Trail: Galloping Goose. There are an abundance of superb running routes along the Galloping Goose multi-use trail, which spans 55km from Victoria to the ghost town of Leechtown, BC. My favorite section of the trail starts at Matheson Lake Regional Park heading towards Sooke, BC. This serene, quiet section is well shaded and provides a leg-friendly packed gravel surface. The scenery of Matheson Lake and Roche Cove are an added bonus to this awesome run.
2. Favourite Riding Route: The East Sooke Loop (above). Challenging terrain and gorgeous views of the Juan de Fuca straight is what makes the East Sooke Loop my favorite riding route. It’s the perfect area to train if you are looking to prepare for your next hilly triathlon or cycling race.
Check out the particulars of this route at: Map My Ride
3. Favourite Swim Group: Thetis Lake Open Water Swim Group. This group meets every Friday morning at 7:30 am from May through September and is hosted by Lifesport Coaching and Mercury Rising Triathlon Club. It's open to the public and to all levels of swimmers and triathletes from beginners to Olympians. For a very minimal fee you'll get world-class coaching and a chance to get out of the pool and hone your open water skills.
4. Favourite Running Shop: Frontrunners Victoria. By far my favorite run shop on the Island! The friendly and knowledgeable staff are always excellent in helping choose from a wide selection of shoes to suit your needs.
5. Favourite Recovery Spot: Weir’s Beach. This quiet and beautiful beach is my favorite post-workout recovery spot. There is no better place to soak your tired legs than in the cold Pacific following a long training day.
Greg Burnham, Marathoner, Vancouver, BC
1. Favourite Running Route: Pacific Spirit Park. Vancouver has some of the best running routes around so it was really tough to pick just one. But my long-time favourite is Pacific Spirit Park. Yeah, I know what you’re thinking — the park isn’t technically in Vancouver, but it is part of Metro Vancouver and that’s good enough for me.
2. Favourite Fitness Store: The Running Room. What can I say, I’m a runner to the core and my go-to store for gear is the Running Room. Especially the Cambie Street location!
3. Favourite Yoga Studio: Open Door. Speaking of core, mine needs constant upkeep. And as much as I love me some savasana, the yogis at Open Door on Main and 15th really make you work for it.
4. Favourite Rec Centre: The Hillcrest Community Centre. Skating? Check. Swimming? Check. Fitness Centre? Check. The Hillcrest Community Centre covers pretty much all of your recreation needs. Plus, they were one of the first places in the city to promote trans-friendly bathrooms. You can’t stop progress!
5. Favourite Recovery Spot: Whole Foods on Cambie. Conveniently located just a block from my favourite running store is the cafe at Whole Foods on Cambie. Whether you’re looking for a caffeine fix or a full-on post-long-run refuel, you can find it here.